Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Tad More About Ujamaa (My Host Organization)

Let me talk a little more about the center. It’s a very well maintained and managed place. The director, Patrick Ochieng, is a very experienced worker in the NGO arena, and is a very good friend to my FSD Program Director, George. The center runs three separate programs under three different program managers. I can give you guys better rundowns when I talk to you on the phone. It takes me about 30 minutes to get here by matatu. It takes 2 matatus to get here and in the mornings it is painful trying to get into both. People stand on the side of the road in crowds waiting for the next matatu with space. When one shows up, people flood towards it and you have to fight your way through to get yourself a seat. They have indeed held true to the max passengers law, allowing only 14 per matatu, but seatbelts are scarce! Kira told me that she put one on in a matatu once and was laughed at by a man next to her the whole way to her stop!

No comments: