Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My First Real Day at the Center

Started with a post-mortem meeting of the previous day’s events. It was curious. I’m learning a ton here bout how to lead and manage. You don’t really think about the value of a meeting like that until you’ve started it and hear the amount of good reflection that happens.

After that, there was yet another meeting. That is where I got a true view of the inner workings of Ujamaa. We held a meeting for the grassroots community organizers, called Community Mobilizers (CMs). They were there to be chastised for not being serious about their work (eg. not turning papers in on time) and for throwing temper tantrums. It was like I was in a high school classroom! I sat and listened to them blame their trainers, blame the managers, blame financing for not giving them money. Money money money, it always seems to come back to money in the end. The center director did a fantastic job keeping things constructive and progressive, but I didn’t feel anything was accomplished, aside from exposing concerns and letting people know that they needed to shape up or else.

My First Mild Breakdown:

I’ve come to this organization trying to figure a lot of things and have not been given any of the support I’ve needed. I know I come in here as an intern, but to grow young up and comers, especially those with low confidence in the process of sustainable development, more MUST be provided to me. I am not told what the daily activities are, I am not told when I will find time to define my project, I am not told what the organization is planning. Am I a part of the team? Can my work be appreciated? Is there a community I will be able to help?

All of that hit me after the meeting yesterday. By the end of the day I finally got to chat with my supervisors and get more direction. They promised to meet with me and go over my stuff so that I can create a project and have it planned by my FSD deadline. I’m not perfectly happy with their response, but at least I’m moving forward.

Oh, and I was extremely hungry which had me a little sour. No lunch for the second day in a row!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

hamna shida - give it like 2 weeks fully at the center :)