Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kenyan Politics: Mombasa's Town Clerk and the Kenyan Minister of Tourism

I had two amazing privileges on Monday, my first day at Ujamaa. I got to sit in while a study of the city's ability to provide public services was presented to the deputy clerk of Mombasa (the clerk’s office is in charge of providing public services). We sat in a large conference room with a gorgeous wood table, and while the meeting went on, chai (refer to CHAI section below) was served to all.

Then I was whisked away to White Sands Hotel where there was a launch of the Mombasa Citywide Residents Association. It is being formed to bring together residents of Mombasa so that they might hold the local government accountable for their funding of service projects such as water, electricity, roads, etc. The most important guest was Honorable Balala, a Minister of Parliament (tourism minister to be exact), a Mombasa local, and a BIG DEAL. I felt lucky to be there.

The two experiences were fascinating. I’m still trying to grasp the style of Kenyan politics and professionalism. I’ve noticed it every day that I’ve been here and at every event, be it conference or small office meeting. The statements are careful to take all measures of cordiality, but many become attacking and suggestive. I had to make some equalities to explain it all:
QUESTION = STATEMENT
ASK = TELL
ANSWER = DEFEND
And that has held true. Especially disturbing to me is that people will answer cell phones when being talked to and/or whisper to others around them without even asking the presenter to pause. Now, I don’t know if they’re amazing multitaskers, but I was offended for the person presenting. Anyways, issue dodging was the name of the game and it made me glad I’m not in politics. It was frustrating to listen to. Questions were not answered well, people spoke in circles, politicians focused on their own agendas.

All in all: great day, very telling.

Oh, and on my way home, I witnessed a police bust of some gangsters. A man drove up in a car next to the matatu I was in, jumped out with an AK47 and ran off. He apparently was part of an elite police squad. I heard a gun shot, people began freaking out and running all over. Luckily my matatu made it back alright, using some back roads and very questionable driving!

1 comment:

mamacrystal said...

Hi Eli,
You don't know me, but I'm Sarah's Mom. Sarah was in Kenya for 6 months in 2003, and is now married to a Swahili man from Old Town, Mombasa. We visited Kenya this summer, and it was amazing. Of course, we were tourists, but not quite because Said could show us the inside stuff as a native. So, I am fascinated by what you are doing, and I look forward to reading your blogs. Thanks.

Sarah and Kira grew up together in Monson before Kira moved to Washington.